Saturday, March 13, 2010

Ever Wish You Could Have Your First Car Back?

My first car was a 1957 Plymouth Suburban Station Wagon.  My Dad bought it from a guy at his work when I was 15 years old.  Initially, I was kind of embarressed driving it.  I remember one day picking up a friend to go to high school.  When we drove past our classmates waiting at the bus stop, she ducked down, not wanting to be seen in my station wagon.  I starting inviting friends to go along for rides in the "Mean Machine" to the local drive thru at lunch time, and pretty soon, everybody loved the car.  I remember that it had alot of power under the hood, but the carburator would make the car buck and stall when it was cold.  So I had to keep one foot on the gas and one foot on the brake pedal to keep it from dying before it warmed up.  Back in the 70's, it would cost me 5 bucks to fill it up.  It squeaked like an old bed...but I loved that car.  When I bought a 74 Chrysler Windsor, I let my Dad sell the wagon.  Man, I wish I had that car back again. 

The Mean Machine

Back in the early 1980's, I found this 1957 Chrysler Windsor at an estate sale in Redwood City.  I paid $400 for it.  My dear Dad always worked on my cars for me...which I still appreciate to this day.  The underside of the car had alot of rust because it was originally from Chicago and they would salt the roads in the winter.  But it was a neat, nice condition car otherwise.  Another car that I wish I owned again!


No comments:

Post a Comment